Oifig An Chigire Príosún /
Office of the Inspector of Prisons
Welcome to the website of the Office of the Inspector of Prisons.
The Office of the Inspector of Prisons is a statutory, independent office established under the Prisons Act, 2007.
The key role assigned to the Inspector is to carry out regular inspections of the 14 Prisons in the State and to present his report(s) on each institution inspected as well as an Annual Report to the Minister for Justice and Equality.
The Inspector of Prisons, Judge Michael Reilly wishes to announce that, in accordance with Section 31(2) of the Prisons Act 2007, he has embarked on a review of the Irish Prison Service. The Terms of Reference for this review are:- To carry out an assessment of the current culture within the Irish Prison Service and the extent to which it facilitates or hinders the development of the service and to produce a report with recommendations by 1 September 2015.
Click HERE for further information
- An overview of Mountjoy Prison Campus with particular emphasis on the Separation Unit
- 15/10/2014 An overview of Mountjoy Prison Campus with particular emphasis on the Separation Unit
- 10/10/2014 Inspector of Prisons Annual Report 2014
- 22/09/2014 Omnibus report of investigations into the deaths of prisoners
- 04/09/2014 Publication of Inspector of Prisons Deaths In Custody Reports 2013
- More Publications....