Oifig An Chigire Príosún /
Office of the Inspector of Prisons
Welcome to the website of the Office of the Inspector of Prisons.
The Office of the Inspector of Prisons is a statutory, independent office established under the Prisons Act, 2007.
The key role assigned to the Inspector is to carry out regular inspections of the 14 Prisons in the State and to present his report(s) on each institution inspected as well as an Annual Report to the Minister for Justice and Equality.
The Inspector of Prisons Judge Michael Reilly has announced that the Review of the Irish Prison Service has commenced. The Office of the Inspector of Prisons invites interested parties to make submissions relevant to the Terms of Reference announced on 16 February 2015.
Click here for information relevant to submissions
Click here for announcement of review
- An overview of Mountjoy Prison Campus with particular emphasis on the Separation Unit
- 15/10/2014 An overview of Mountjoy Prison Campus with particular emphasis on the Separation Unit
- 10/10/2014 Inspector of Prisons Annual Report 2014
- 22/09/2014 Omnibus report of investigations into the deaths of prisoners
- 04/09/2014 Publication of Inspector of Prisons Deaths In Custody Reports 2013
- More Publications....